emergent, new monastic, emerging, organic, ancient future, missional church. I haven’t been completely comfortable with any of these current labels for evolving ways of being the church. As I have been re-imagining what it means to be a follower of Jesus in my current cultural context (urban,racially and socio-economically diverse) I’ve moved beyond emergent but had not named what that beyond was.
I was recently been asked to teach a class at a local seminary on the missional church. As I’ve been preparing for that I find myself growing increasingly more comfortable with identifying what I’m doing as missional. To be sure the missional label is not perfect and I can’t say I agree with every expression of missional but here are some things that appeal to my post emergent sensibility.
My developing view of the missional church is
- Cross cultural in its efforts
- intentional indigenous – culturally engaged but not culturally absorbed
- connecting with God who is already at work in our world
- incarnational proclamation of the gospel
- realigning or re-imagining all aspects of church life around God’s purposes
- culturally engaged but scripturally orthodox
- transforming community
- church planting reproduction
- creative and culturally relevant but connected to the historically church
Some language derived from Friends of missional
So as I move toward the missional future I’ve taken the huge leap of posting a friend of missional button in my side bar. A first of any kind of identifying button for emerging mosaic.
Share your ideas or thoughts on the missional church